Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Great Example and Man

Tonight I watched a special about Randy Pausch. He was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University and is most famous for a lecture he gave entitiled "The Last Lecture". He died on July 25th from pancreatic cancer. He knew that he was going to die, and yet he had an amazing attitude and out look on life. In his lecture he talks about childhood dreams and how to achieve them and about how to life our lives. One thing that stood out to me in his lecture is he says basically in life things happen and there is nothing we can do about it except we can decide if we are going to be an Eeyore or a Tiger. He talked about how he doesn't know how not to have fun. He had such spirit about him that to me just signifies the word Joy. Lately I have kind of been in self pity mode; wondering why certain trials have come my way. I mean Im good person right, everything should go smooth and perfect. And here is this great man, loving husband, and father of three small children, told he is not going to live and yet he does not go into self pity mode, he decides to share his story, his life and strength with the world. I hope I can have just a little bit of his courage to face my trails. I am so grateful for the Gospel in my life and for the knowledge that families are forever. Even though Gabe drives me crazy every now and then, I am so blest to know that we are married for all time and eternity I love him so much and don't know what I would do if I knew that our time together was coming to an end. Randy and his wife are a great example of love and companionship in the face of trials. I hope that everyone can learn something from Randy's story, his kids have an amazing father and I know one day they will truley understand the great effect he had on millions of lives.

"what wisdom would you try to impart to the world if you knew it was your last chance?"
Randy Pausch


I couldn't figure out how to post his video but here is youtube clip of part of his lecture and life. Be Inspired
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ-IxbiI8Ts
Also here is the whole lecture on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

No comments: