Tuesday, August 5, 2008

How old do I look?

I work with a lot of older people, and many times I hear that I look to young to work there, that I look like I am still in high school and when they find out that I am married I have to constantly remind them that I am 24. Just the other day I had my hair in braids and a lady told me I looked like I was 10. Now I am know that most people don't mean it to be rude. But come on I'm a grown women and don't need people telling me I look like a child all the time. Here are few crazy things people have said to me in the past. Some times people just need to think before they speak.

My sister Lindsay and I, Lachelle and Preston all went to a fast food place once, I think I was 19 or so. As we were looking over the counter at all the toppings to put on our burrito the girl at the counter ( who was probably 16) was like "Okay who brought you all here because I know none of you are old enough to drive."

My junior year or so at BYU yes college. I was walking to to one of my classes book bag and all on my back. Some guy came up behind me and asked me what High School I went to.

On the plane to Ohio to get married. Gabe and I sat in the emergency row and the Lady came up to me and said I'm sorry you have to be older than 15 to sit here. (This pretty much happens every time I fly)

Two summers ago Gabe and I lived in an apartment complex in Ohio. They had a club house with a pool table. My brother preston and I were playing some pool, not being loud at all. The office lady came up to me and very rudely said. "Excuse me where are your parents, they need to be with you to be in here." I was like I live here with my husband. Then to try and cover it up she was like oh you look so young I'm sorry. I get that all the time too. (yeah right)

There have been many other stories too, but I can't really think of them at the moment. I know my sisters get it too and have some great stories of their own. Every one at work is always telling me how cute and little and young I look. Sometimes it would just be nice to treated a little bit more grown up. I did just turn 24. Like they all say I guess I'll appreciate it when I get older.

6 comments:

Kaakun said...

yes... it kinda sucks, 9 years after getting out of HS... people still think I'm in it... oh well... it could be worse.

FWIL Sentimental Blog Content said...

You're my favorite 10 year old if it makes you feel better!

Angie O said...

Leslie, I get that all the time, too! At work I get from at least 2 patients a day this conversation:
"Wow, how old are you?"
"How old do you think I am?"
"Well, I would say you were 17 but you have to be at least 22 because you're a nurse with a bachelors."
Yeah, I'm 24. Oh well, what can you do? "At least you'll look young when you're old" But that doesn't matter right now, does it? :)

lindsay coudron said...

You are so funny. I loved Gabe's hair on your birthday and I still want you to e-mail me the recipe for the ice cream that you made, it sounds so good. I love you.

Cyd said...

Oh Leslie :) I don't think that you look that young! but geez... I dunno. I wish people thought I looked younger. People always think I look older which with every passing year I start to develop a teeny bit more concern. haha. It'll be especially be great when we hit our 40's... well at least for you! To make you feel better my dad asked me how old I was yesterday... 21? Hmmmm... no dad. Well at least my dad thinks I'm young!

Rivera Family said...

Your stories make me laugh. I am so excited you are coming to visit. I really miss you.